As an ex-safety instructor, I am now tired of educating people on safety matters. People simply finds it too hard to digest this education. Living elsewhere or in Taiwan, my philosophy is simple, I rather bang the tree myself and not someone kissing my ass. At least I knew what was coming. Many casualties on the road were due to lack of awareness, reading the signs of trouble or personal safety awareness.
Around our city Kaohsiung, we inherited a 50cc Scooter from my partner's late father. We hardly ride the scooter but if we did, I followed my principle of road traffic education. I will try as much to avoid riding on pedestrian pavement and definitely not against the traffic. No right turn even the traffic sign is RED.
My personal protection, I deliberately bought a helmet to suit my requirement. This is not the safest helmet but I have instructed how I wanted. My helmet is a semi full face comes with a visor sun shade and visor for rain. The helmet was sent back to the factory because I did not want a clip-on chin strap. I have instructed that I wanted a D-Ring chin strap. I am a Thinker...so my head is worth more than this helmet.
Another eduction I tried to teach my partner is to turn ON the headlamp when riding even in the day time, as a rider we are small, by switching on the headlamp in the day time, you will provide awareness to others and safety to ourself.
As a 2 wheelers since birth, I have dared and I have challenged my faith, riding at 260km/h and flying in the air. Today I am done, around the city I do not even ride above 50km/h. Why...I am simply not well protected. You choose your faith but what I have said hope you understood.
|Custom helmet with D-ring chin strap and self added reflector strip. Chin strap must always be under the Chin.|
|How high do you want to fly?? Is your life worth risking? |
Perfected this jump after 2 weeks training. Furtherest was a 20ft jump
Tips for Bicycle or Motorised Bike
- Never put 4 fingers on the brakes. (2 or 1 is enough if you see my above pics)
- Learn Body English on the bike that is counter balance.
- Ride with a crab elbow (to take shock from the road)
- Stand if you are not on uneven ground esp downhill.
- lean back if you are downhill
- Chin above the handlebar if planning for a jump
- legs are shock absorbers
- fast bike ride ahead of traffic
- slow bike stay as far back from traffic
- try off-road riding, you will learn 2 Wheelers control from there. Road riding teaches nothing.
- machine and soul must be one, the brain reacts to the machine.
- If you want to jump, start learning the Sag on the bike
- understand tire pressure on different terrain
- read traffic condition constantly
- see your rear mirror constantly
I have never had anyone kissing me except myself kissing 3 trees and broke a collar bone. (training for a race).
|mind, body and machine|
|Inherited from him, our late father|
|me and my younger sister off-road, she was on a Honda 650NX Dominator. We were a family of 2 Wheelers till MTB days and still riding on 2 Wheels|
|That was how I got started. The adventure of 2-Wheelers|