This is a simple fried rice anyone can do it. At campsite, you can use a Dutch Oven to prepare this dish. It will take about 20mins to prepare and there is no need to use any oil. Instead this fried rice we use the fats from the chicken thigh skin. If you notice most stalls who sells fried rice, they are very oily however when this dish was made the amount of chicken fats produce was just perfect for this dish.
To some this dish might feel unhealthy as we rendered the oil from the chicken. However if you take one KFC drumstick, the amount of oil in that one drumstick is more than what we use here. In most Chinese cooking, to get the flavour out of a dish, most would use animal fats which creates an aromatic taste. If you are a person who takes skinless chicken then this dish is not for you. If you look at it in another way, this is rather a healthy meal.
Serving for 2
1 de-boned chicken thigh
1/2 carrot diced
1 broccoli cut into few small stalks
1 green chilli sliced
1 egg beaten season with soy sauce and pepper
1/2 tomato cut in 4 parts
2 garlic minced
2 bowls refrigerated rice
Choice of vegetable is up to you. In this dish the carrot, broccoli will give some crunchiness and sweetness. The tomatoes will give some sourness, the green chill will give some heat and crunchiness. All the texture in one fried rice dish.
- Heat up the wok with low heat and place the chicken thigh with skin down
- Once the skin is golden brown, turn over and cook the meat side is golden brown. Remove the chicken thigh and diced it.
- In the wok, you will notice the chicken thigh has produce some oil. Add the beaten egg, stir-fry till it almost cook.
- Add minced garlic, stir-fry for few seconds.
- Add carrot, broccoli, diced chicken thigh and tomatoes
- Add the rice and stir-fry with high heat till the rice are all broken up
- Add the sliced green chilli and seasoning to taste.
- Stir-fry for few more seconds and it is ready to serve